Purpose: To demonstrate the proper recovery technique in the event of entering Vortex Ring State, as the result of operating at low airspeed, at moderate to high power settings, and a high rate of descent.
Note: Prior to performing this maneuver, pilot(s) should become familiar with Safety Notice SN-22.
|Cyclic:||Pitch Attitude/Airspeed; Ground Track; Rate of Closure|
|Collective:||Rate of Descent; Angle of Approach|
|Pedals||Trim (Above 50 AGL); Heading (Below 50 ft AGL)|
Settling with power is most dangerous when it happens at lower altitudes. The most common flight condition is during a steep approach with a tailwind.
Note: This maneuver will be demonstrated at a minimum altitude of 1500 feet AGL.
- Clear the area.
- Apply smooth aft cyclic until airspeed approaches ETL, maintaining altitude and heading.
- Bring the aircraft into an out of ground effect hover.
- The aircraft will begin to shudder and have “sluggish” control movements.
- Application of additional increased collective will increase vibration and sink rate.
- To recover, simultaneously reduce collective pitch and apply forward cyclic.
- At the first indication of airspeed, begin to slowly increase collective to achieve power that will arrest the descent and a 60 KIAS pitch attitude.
- Recovery must be made prior to passing through 1000 feet AGL.
The pilot must have a thorough understanding of, and recognize and announce the onset of settling with power. Following recognition the recovery should be completed prior to 1000′ AGL.