Purpose: To demonstrate safely maneuvering the aircraft in the event of a power loss or other emergency requiring autorotation.
|Cyclic:||Pitch Attitude/Airspeed; Ground Track|
|Throttle: (instructor ONLY)||Engine RPM|
|Pedals||Trim (Above 50 ft AGL); Heading (Below 50 ft AGL)|
Note: The entry should be verbalized by stating “Eyes outside, Entering auto now”.
- Start with level flight, 70 KIAS, 700 feet AGL, into the wind
- Slowly lower the collective full down.
- Coordinate the collective movement with right pedal for trim and aft cyclic to maintain a 70 KT attitude.
Down, Right, AFT on the entry
- Instructor reduces the throttle to split the needles.
- Once autorotation is established, begin scan
RPM, Trim, Airspeed
- After descent has been established, maintain a 70KT attitude throughout the glide.
- The pilot’s eyes should be primarily outside during this phase of the autorotation.
Eyes Outside Maintain a 70KT attitude
|Lowering Collective= Raises RPM
Raising Collective=Lowers RPM
|Aft Cyclic=Raises RPM
Forward Cyclic=Lowers RPM
- Avoid looking straight down in front of the aircraft.
Note: As the aircraft descends through 300 feet AGL, make an immediate power recovery if the following conditions do not exist:
- Rotor RPM>98% and stabilized
- Airspeed >60 KIAS and stabilized
- Rate of descent stabilized no greater than 1700fpm
- Aircraft aligned with the touchdown point
The Flare/Power Recovery:
- At approximately 40 feet AGL, begin the flare with aft cyclic to reduce forward airspeed and rate of descent.
- The flare will vary depending on wind conditions and gross weight.
- The flare should gradually be increased so that the groundspeed and rate of descent are significantly decreased.
- Too aggressive flare will produce ballooning- causing the helicopter to climb and/or excessive RPM
Gentle Flare, More Flare, Flare More Until Feel Sink
- Approximately half way through the flare the instructor will increase throttle to rejoin needles.
- At approximately 8-10 feet AGL, begin to level the helicopter with forward cyclic.
- Just prior to achieving a level attitude, increase the collective while maintaining heading with left pedal.
- Terminate maneuver with a stable hover.
|Performance Standards:||Private ACS||Commercial PTS|
|Airspeed||+ 5 KTS||+ 5 KTS|
|RPM||Normal Limits||Normal Limits|
|Predetermined Spot||+ 200 Feet||+ 100 Feet|