Purpose: To demonstrate an approach and landing when sufficient power for hovering is not available due to high gross weight and/or density altitude and/or power limitations.
|Cyclic:||Pitch Attitude/Airspeed; Ground Track; Rate of Closure|
|Collective:||Rate of Descent; Angle of Approach|
|Pedals||Trim (Above 50 ft AGL); Heading (Below 50 ft AGL)|
- From a stabilized 3 foot hover, note the hover power..
- Maximum power for this maneuver will be 2″ MAP less than power required to hover.
- On Final approach, the aircraft should be aligned into the wind and with the point of intended touchdown, 60 KIAS and 300 feet AGL.
- When a shallow approach angle (5 degrees) is intercepted, begin the approach by smoothly lowering the collective. This will cause the aircraft to descend.
- Begin a slow deceleration with aft cyclic while maintaining the approach angle by reducing the collective.
- Plan to arrive at the point of touchdown slightly above ETL.
- Prior to ground contact, ensure the helicopter is at a level attitude.
- Use maximum maneuver power to cushion touchdown, flat, level skids, while maintaining heading with pedals, track with cyclic, and slowly lowering collective for braking action.
Note: Maintain forward cyclic position once ground contact is made, do not bring the cyclic aft.
|Private ACS||Commercial PTS|
|Airspeed||Maintain ETL||Maintain ETL|
|Must maintain ground track with crosswind correction if necessary|