Purpose: To transition from the surface to a stabilized 3-5 feet hover.
With the collective in the full down position, the cyclic centered, and pedals neutral, complete a pre-take off check.
No Warning lights or horns
Engine and rotor tachometers are in the green
All operating gauges in the green
Sufficient fuel for the operation (quantity and time)
Clear the aircraft left and right. Select a reference point approximately 50 feet in front of the aircraft. The pickup will be conducted with a 2 step process.
- Slowly start to increase collective.
- A small amount of left pedal will normally be required to compensate for increased amount of torque.
- As aircraft becomes light on skids, neutralize all movements with the cyclic and pedals.
- Extreme caution must be use to avoid any rearward or lateral movement since this can cause an immediate rollover.
- Continue to smoothly and slowly increase the collective while maintaining heading with pedals.
- The aircraft should climb smoothly and slowly off the surface.
- Once the aircraft leaves the surface, you must
- maintain heading with pedals
- position over the surface with cyclic
- hover height with collective
- Once aircraft is established in a 3-5 foot hover, perform a hover check.
- No warning lights or horns
- Engine and rotor tachometers are in the green
- All operating gauges in the green
- Note hover power
|Performance Standards||Private ACS||Commercial PTS|
|Altitude||+ 2 Feet||+ 1 Foot|
|Heading||+ 10 Degrees||+ 5 Degrees|
|RPM||+ 2%||+ 2%|
|Position over a Desired Point||+ 4 Feet||+ 2 Feet|