Purpose: To maneuver the aircraft forward, sideward, rearward, and turn the aircraft while hovering.
|Cyclic:||Aircraft Position; Ground Track|
1) Forward, sideward and rearward flight.
- From a stabilized 3-5 foot hover, headed into the wind, move the cyclic smoothly towards the desired direction of flight.
- Maintain heading with small pedal corrections and altitude with collective.
- As movement begins, adjust the cyclic to keep the groundspeed at a constant rate equivalent to a normal walk. Reference points along the direction of flight can be used to maintain correct ground track.
- To stop the movement, apply cyclic opposite to the direction of movement until the helicopter stops.
During all phases of hovering, cyclic changes should be small and smooth.
- During crosswind hover flight, additional cyclic pressure may be need to compensate for the additional effects of wind and drift.
2) Hovering (Pedal) Turns
- Hovering turns are accomplished by use of the pedals.
- Ensure the tail and tail rotor have ample clearance before beginning a turn.
- Maintain a constant altitude with the collective.
- Cyclic is used to control attitude and position over the ground and should be continually adjusted into the wind to avoid drifting and excessive attitude changes during the turn.
- Maintain a slow, constant rate of turn. (A rate of 360° in 15 seconds is recommended.)
- As the helicopter turns, counter pressures on the opposite pedal should be used to maintain a slow, constant rate
- With the helicopter headed into~the wind, apply pedal in the desired direction of turn.
- As the desired heading is reached, stop the turn by applying slight pressure on the opposite pedal
3) Air Taxi
- Execute normal takeoff profile per the Height/Velocity Diagram
- After passing through ETL, adjust power and attitude for desired airspeed and altitude.
- Air taxis are conducted below 100 feet.
- Do not overfly any aircraft in the airport environment.
- Fly a normal approach with a headwind to desired landing spot.
|Performance Standards||Private ACS||Commercial PTS|
|Altitude||+ 2 Feet||+ 1 Foot|
|Heading||+ 10 Degrees||+ 5 Degrees|
|RPM||+ 2%||+ 2%|
|Position over a Desired Point||+ 5 Feet||+ 3 Feet|