Purpose: To demonstrate safely landing the aircraft from a hover with a complete power loss or tail rotor failure
|Collective:||Rate of Descent|
Note: The entry should be verbalized by stating “Eyes outside, hovering auto in 3-2-1”.
“Pedal, Settle, Pull.”
- Begin from a stabilized 3-5 foot hover over level terrain.
- Reposition the left hand so the throttle will be rolled off in the correction direction (“fingernails up”)
- With the helicopter pointed into the wind, roll the throttle smoothly into the detent while simultaneously adding right pedal to correct for torque.
- The loss of tail rotor thrust will cause a left drift which much be compensated for by slight right lateral cyclic.
- Smoothly increase the collective to cushion the landing.
- Once on the ground, lower the collective.
Use extreme caution to avoid a sideward or rearward movement on touchdown to prevent the possibility of a roll-over.
|Performance Standards||Private ACS||Commercial PTS|
|Heading||+ 10 Degrees||+ 5 Degrees|
|Minimal sideward movement and no rearward movement allowed|